Agricultural pest control: Make Mother Nature work for your farm with Bacteria
One of the greatest demands on a farmer today is taking control of crop-destroying insect pests.
Traditionally, agricultural pest control is done with chemical pesticides that results in resistance in the target insects, negatively affects many other species and the ecosystem, and its residues may harm humans.
BioControl offers an alternative to this by providing the farmer with the means of sustainable pest control by breaking the life-cycle of pest insects.
The specific activity that biological insect control provides means that beneficial insects such as pollinators and the natural enemies of the insects are not killed off.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO HARM THE ENVIRONMENT TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR AGRICULTURAL PESTS
6 facts you should know about biological pest control:
- Biological pest control uses the natural enemies of insect pests to control populations.
- Biological pest control make use of bacteria or fungi that cause diseases in the pest insects, or that strengthens the host plant’s own defence mechanism against these pests.
- It offers protection against a broad range of insects, nematodes, and fungal pests, but each product is target-specific and only attacks the harmful pest, with no effect on other organisms.
- Pests do not develop resistance against biological pest control agents.
- The cost/benefit ratio of biological pest control is very favourable.
- It may provide long-term solutions to pest control.
The most widely-used strain of bacteria is Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt, a naturally occurring bacterium that infect and kill insects. Bt works by producing a protein that paralyse the digestive system of the target insect, thereby starving it.
Several new strains of Bt have been developed to target specific insect species like beetles. It can also aid in soil rejuvenation by targeting insect eggs and pests, disease-causing fungi in soil and on the plant, as well as nematodes and other pests.
BioControl offers you sustainable solutions to agricultural pest control that will enable you to produce crops that has not been exposed to chemical pesticides.
This bacterial pest control forms part of the sustainable farming practice of Integrated Pest Management, aiming to provide long-term solutions to your agricultural pest problems.
Find BioControl's solution to your pests here.
Find BioControl's solution to your pests here.Our Products